Sapienza: experience and enthusiasm

Sapienza: experience and enthusiasm

Published on April 14, 2016

Lauren Sapienza ’18 said she hopes to foster community and create new traditions while serving as Yale College Council events director. Running uncontested, Sapienza has already begun planning programming for next year.

“Yale is an incredible place, and one of the most incredible things we have here is each other,” Sapienza said. “As events director, I think I’ll have the opportunity to facilitate bonding and allow our campus and our friend groups to expand in different ways that I think can really enrich campus culture.”

Sapienza has served on the YCC, and on the Events Committee specifically, since her freshman year. She is currently the deputy events director, and she has worked under current Events Director Amour Alexandre ’17 — from whom Sapienza said she learned the value of resilience and creativity — to plan events such as the Yale/Harvard party in Commons.

Alexandre said she chose Sapienza as her deputy for her “attention to detail” and “resolve to give back to Yalies.” Sapienza’s leadership will further cement YCC Events’ legacy as more than just a party-planning group, but as a group that can impact students outside of the classroom, Alexandre added.

Sapienza said she is considering bringing events to campus such as TableTalk — a program already at several universities that facilitates conversation between different groups on campus. In order to further emphasize dance groups and entrepreneurial culture at Yale, Sapienza said she also hopes to bring a “So You Think Yale Can Dance” competition and a Shark Tank-themed event to campus.

“TableTalk would give students from various groups an opportunity to interact with one another, which has become so uncommon given our busy, heavily ‘Gcal-ed’ lives,” Events Committee member Tyler Bleuel ’19 said. “Events director is a huge role, and I know Lauren will do an amazing job.”

Sapienza added that she hopes to take advantage of the resources available to the YCC, such as the ability to bring in judges and real-world prizes for competitions, as well as more Chick-fil-A study breaks.

Close friend Mollie Johnson ’18 said that Sapienza’s dedication to the YCC and her ability to come up with and execute creative ideas will serve her well as events director.

“Lauren is the best person for the job, and I have no doubts about her competency or passion to put on amazing events for Yale,” Alexandre said. “Every events director has a certain ‘flavor,’ and I can’t wait to see hers next year.”

Credits

Powered by